Things never seem to go as I expect them. I figured in January I would indulge with actual, physical books from my shelves and checked out from the library. An unexpected trip changed that plan and altered my reading plan. Instead of weighty tomes I must resort to my electronic reader and what e-books are available through my library for this first week of January.
The January theme is Garnet. So far my plan is:
1. Akhenaten by Naguib Mahfouz (set in ancient Egypt)
2. The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies (set in Ceylon, modern Sri Lanka, where garnets are found)
3. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (set in Biblical times and has the color red in the title)
4. Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran (set in ancient Egypt)
5. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (featured author for January)
I have the first two already loaded on my Kindle ready for a long drive. I think I am going to try to find some non-fiction to add in this month as well. Maybe I'll dip into the Well-Trained Mind challenge for inspiration.